Monday, July 8, 2013

June 3 2013 Letter



This has been good and awful. Monday and Tuesday we had a good old fashioned south american rain storm. Houses were washed away, the streets turned to rivers and the sky was black for 48 hours. BUT we were in the streets working just the same!! Not one person accepted us into their home to teach. At the end of the day, we were soaked to the skin with water flowing down our faces but!! we were happy to be doing the work we were doing. We were singing the streets with smiles on our faces. 

The next two days, wednesday and thursday, we helped a family move. My companion and I along with one other sister in the ward and one priesthood brother were the only ones that showed up to help. The elders were there for a grand total of 30 minutes (they had a lot of appointments but did what they could). As a result, my companion and I moved the beds, the fridge, the stove, and just about everthing else. The sister who was moving ended up pay her neighbors to help us move the heaviest things. We were exhausted at the end of both days but still had to climb the 85 steps to our apartment (we live of the 7th floor and dont have an elevator) change our clothes and go back out into the streets to work. That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to make myself do. The next day, friday, the rain came back. We were so exhausted but still went out in the rain to work. Needless to say, I am now sick. I was in bed almost all day saturday but got up and went to church and worked all day yesterday. I do not have a voice today and all the pains of a cold and the flu are still here but I have my strength sooooo I am still working. My companion on the other hand is in perfect health!! She has all the light and fire of the work so I am not going to hold her back. I recieved a blessing from the bishop in which he told me that I would be given the power to do the work to which I was called so that is what I will do. 

We have some very wonderful people that we are teaching right now. One man, Carlos, contacted us! It was our first day so we were in the street knocking doors. We saw a man standing outside his house talking on his phone. We didnt want to interrupt him so we passed by and knocked the next door. We finished the street and he was still on his phone so we went to the next street. A few minutes later, he came up to us and asked us what we were doing. We told him that we were looking for people to teah about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. He looked and us and said "Why didnt you talk to ME?" It kind of took me by surprise and I have been thinking about it a lot since then. Who are we to choose who we talk to? All are God`s chilren and all need to learn what we have to teach so why do who choose who we talk to my making up some excuse or other in our heads about why we shouldnt? I think people think missionaries are fearless and that sharing the gospel comes easily for us. It doesnt. It is still the scariest thing in the world to walk up to someone and say esensially "hey! i want to talk to you about god!" okay. not exactly that but pretty close. Its weird and awkward but we do it anyway because we know the value of the message we bring. The gospel is literally eternity changing. More than just life changing. I am honor and humbled to be able to have the chance to dedicate an entire year and a half of my life to helping others change theirs. 
Thank you for your prayers and love!!! I love you all and pray for you always!! 

Les quiero mushisimo!!
Hermana Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment